Job Title: Managing Director
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA;
Job Category: Management /Business Development
Industry: Capital Markets
Year(s) of Experience: 2-5
Number Of Positions: 1
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with relevant experience
To apply Confidentially: ConfidentialApplications@mapleleafangels.com
Maple Leaf Angels Introduction:
Funding Ontario’s most promising new companies, Maple Leaf Angels is a non-profit organization with a membership of experienced high net worth private individuals who invest in seed and early stage technology companies. While investments are made individually, MLA members enjoy the benefit of best practices and the collective knowledge and networks of the group. Our mandate is to connect experienced, accredited investors and the brightest, most passionate entrepreneurs in a stream lined expert process within the larger entrepreneurial eco-system. By bringing together investment, experience and a network of partners, MLA enables high potential companies to grow, realize their potential and offer excellent returns.
We offer a dynamic entrepreneurial environment that fosters creativity and provides unlimited opportunities for personal and professional growth.
We are currently looking for a qualified candidate to lead and promote our organization in the start-up ecosystem. Working with our Board of Directors, our Associate Director and our lead partners, you will be focused on delivering the strategic goals for the organization.
We want to move fast and are looking for the right combination of broad skills and the willingness to pitch-in and get things done.
Position Description / Responsibilities:
Are you up for the challenge?
If you’ve got the skills, we’ve got a very satisfying job for you in a working environment designed to bring out your best - your ambition and drive to succeed will be recognized, supported... and rewarded.
Reporting to and working collaboratively with the Board of Directors, the Managing Director (MD) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Maple Leaf Angels programs, expansion, and execution of its mission.
In this role you will be recruiting for, as well as representing, our organization to our ecosystem of prospective and existing members, entrepreneurs, volunteers, board members, committees, founders, sponsors, government funders, and partnering organizations.
You will be engaging our eco-system members to understand their business priorities, determining the appropriate fit, and executing an appropriate engagement strategy to bring them into the MLA family.
You will be required to manage a quota with the primary objectives of creating valuable deal flow and investments for our members, new member recruitment and satisfaction, securing ongoing government grants and other forms of funding, and new business development with prospective partners.
Candidates should be comfortable working in a fast-paced dynamic atmosphere, where performance is expected and rewarded.
The MD will be a credible, professional, respected representative of the organization in the entrepreneurial eco-systems in which it operates. The ideal candidate should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
• Advanced degree, ideally an MBA, with 2 to 5 years of management experience with demonstrated business development success;
• Demonstrated ability to turn business strategies into effectively executed plans;
• Ability to manage a budget, and maintain complete and accurate records;
• Ability to lead, guide, motivate and train a combination of paid and volunteer staff and Board Members.
• Marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures would be an asset
• Training and coursework necessary to be registered as a Chief Compliance Officer and Designated Trader for a Exempt Market Dealer with the Ontario Securities Commission would be ideal
• Experience working in the Capital Markets ecosystem would be an asset;
• Experience working within the entrepreneurial ecosystem would be an asset;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning and operations.
• Strategic thinker with excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
• A team player with strong EQ, relationship, consultation, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to multi-task and juggle many projects at once in a fast paced environment.
• Strong verbal and written presentation skills and a highly professional, polished image.
• Successful experience in working with and submitting proposals to all levels of government in sourcing and securing program funding.
• Flexible schedule and able to work evenings and travel when required.
• Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel programs.